LeftyFrets.net  

Go Back   LeftyFrets.net > Welcome To LeftyFrets.net!!! > Live and In Concert!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Live and In Concert! So you wanna be a star, huh? Post your Youtube clips or photos of you performing... or of someone that you really enjoy... right here!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Eminent Sultan of Flatulence

Default Gretsch demo ... thoughts?

I got inspired by Sean's recent video of his Collings so I started playing around with iMovie and did a demo of a Gretsch Duo Jet yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT8u3f3_09c

I took a blues backing track and played the guitar, with a little overdrive, then clean, experimenting with the different pickups and tone settings.

Looking for feedback on this ... if you were in the market for an electric, is it helpful to hear the guitar in the context of a backing track like this? Would it be better to hear the guitar by itself? Both?

I also added a few photos on top of the video ... is that helpful? Distracting?

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

http://leftyguitarsonly.com

Authorized dealer for Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss and Dalton, Lowden, PRS, Santa Cruz and more.

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com

Last edited by vic@leftiesonly : 08-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM

I'm not in the market for an electric, but I really liked the video. I thought the little tags addressing what you were demonstrating as you did it were good, especially for people like me who really aren't up on that sort of stuff. Bottom line, it is presenting an instrument you have for sale, doing what it does very well, in the hands of an excellent player. I'd vote yes, although you should probably wait on the thoughts of real electric players!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Great - another guitar I want now, thanks!

Seriously, especially as a lefty, yes! I don't get to try out a lot of guitars in Omaha (middle of nowhere), so getting to hear a guitar put through its full range of tonal options in a high quality recording is crucial to deciding what I like and what I don't in a guitar. Your demo accomplishes exactly that, and I commend you on the great playing as well as recording it quite nicely. I like the youtube demos by Gregor Hilden for these same qualities, and your demo reminded me of his.

Gotta say also that it has the potential to change my perception of a guitar as your demo did - I had thought of the Duo Jet as a country guitar, but now it seems it can do pretty well at blues also (in the right hands). In other words, those demos have the potential to open my mind to guitars I wouldn't otherwise consider (not that there's anything wrong with country, it's just not my thing).

Very nice, I'd say yes, by all means post more.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Grizzled Veteran

very nice. With the presentation you chose, it really shows what the guitar is capable of. I would definitely find this useful for something I'm considering.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. On a different forum, I was told that I should dress better ... LOL

Gregor's demos are terrific, but they are better filmed and he is a far better player than I am ... sometimes he uses that same Okko overdrive, which inspired me to pick one up. I think he is using various backing tracks from the same source as the one I found online. I know I've heard that one from him before.

Jon Way also does excellent demos but his are shot and edited by his son who is a video pro.

It's funny, when people call on guitars, they often ask first if I play guitar, and when I say yes, the next question is usually whether I'm a lefty.

Authorized dealer for Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss and Dalton, Lowden, PRS, Santa Cruz and more.

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Haha, if you were a hot 24 year old chick I might have cared what you were wearing or about camera aspects, but nope. Your playing was great, and honestly, if it was too great, we'd only get a sense of how the guitar sounded in your style of play. I think that's my problem with Phil X demos - we get to hear how those guitars sound with his playing and his favorite amp (which he's now selling, I guess). I agree, Jon Way's demos come across very well too. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on camera work. If I can hear everything I want to hear from a guitar and know it's that guitar, I wouldn't care if the video was a bunch of frogs line-dancing.

I forgot to address your other questions too tho - as for the backing track, it was nice, and it was at a level where it just gave your play context, didn't get in the way of hearing the guitar at all. The photos on top were fine - sometimes it's good to see a lot of details too.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Ancient Sage

That was probably one of the most comprehensive guitar demos I've ever seen. I think the backing track helped, it's better to hear a guitar in context. I like the tone of that guitar so much I want one! Creedence to you Vic for holding back and showing off the sound of the guitar rather that trying to be a flahy guitarist (which I'm sure you're capable of being) that happens in so many demos. I'm also sure a lot of that tone comes from your fingers, I love the relaxed style you have. Yep, it's a winner all round.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks, gents ...

Line dancing frogs, now there's an idea

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com
Old 08-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic@leftiesonly
Thanks for the feedback, guys. On a different forum, I was told that I should dress better ... LOL

They are probably talking about the shorts. I noticed it in passing the first time I watched the video, kinda smiled and kept going. I just thought you got all the stuff in place, started it up and wailed away. Still, a lot of people are into the "dress for success" thing. Maybe you could do Robert Johnson next time?

Or, maybe these guys. I hear they did OK back in the day

Last edited by Mark the Magnificent! : 08-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM

I'm waiting to get an SG in

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com