LeftyFrets.net  

Go Back   LeftyFrets.net > Welcome To LeftyFrets.net!!! > Left Handed Acoustic Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Left Handed Acoustic Instruments Play acoustic guitar? Mandolin? Banjo? Dobro? This is your home, then!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Eminent Sultan of Flatulence

Default Huss and Dalton 00 comparisons

I've gotten a lot of requests for comparisons between the three Huss and Dalton 00 models I keep in stock here. I had a comparison between the T-0014 and Crossroads up on Youtube, but I now am using some Neumann mics which sound a lot more natural, and I've been wanting to take another run at it. Yesterday, a beautiful 00-SP in all sinker mahogany arrived, and what better inspiration?

These guitars were all recorded in one sitting, identical mics, preamp settings, positioning, etc. No post EQ or anything else, just the Neumann KM-184 mics (one off the neck joint and the other over the shoulder, panned hard right and left) into a pair of Golden Age Pre-73 MK II preamps (run wide open for transparency, no extra Neve style tube gain staging), into a Presonus StudioLive and straight to video.

Huss and Dalton 00-SP, sinker mahogany top, sinker mahogany back and sides, just two days old, but already sounds killer. Very powerful little guitar, nice, crisp trebles for an all hog guitar. I love it.

Huss and Dalton Crossroads, stock sitka/mahogany build.

Huss and Dalton T-0014, stock sitka/mahogany build. Both the T-0014 and Crossroads were built within a few days of each other.

I did three different videos, watch in HD for best audio. Excuse rough playing, less than flawless tuning, etc ...

Some strumming on an original:

http://youtu.be/H82Bkp8TEck

Flatpicking a little original tune of mine:

http://youtu.be/ZRKqXjw9VcE

Fingerpicking an original bluesy progression:

http://youtu.be/hjd-aGdBJ5U

These are all great 00 guitars, with their own characteristics but clearly and audibly siblings.

However, if I were to close my shop today, the 00-SP in sinker would be a personal guitar of mine.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com

Authorized dealer for Carter-Poulsen, Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss and Dalton, Lowden, PRS, Schenk, Schroeder, Thorn and more.

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com

Last edited by vic@leftiesonly : 03-02-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Exalted Grand Poo-bah

You like the Neumanns better than the Pelusos?

Oh, an all hog 00. Mmmm, mahogany...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Vic,

They all sound really good, that Sinker has the bottom end and just beautiful wood and color. H&D builds good guitars period. I've got a DS rosewood/sitka that's almost 10 years old that is a fine speciman of a sounding acoustic, I call her "Mrs All-That-And-More". H&D to me is similar to Collings in that there fit and finish is there, you can look in the soundhole and see how clean and exact the build is. The OO size is also the most comfortable and enjoyable to play IMHO.
Thanks for the comparison.

Last edited by guitar55 : 03-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 PM

I get something about not being HTML5 compatible. Directly below it it says I am a part of the HTML5 trial,but it doesn't work. I updated to the latest Firefox. Does Firefox maybe not support HTML5? I despise Microshaft Explorer.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Exalted Grand Poo-bah

Vic
Great job on the H&D OO comparisons. I have to agree with you, that sinker OO sounds best to my ears especially when played fingerstyle. A keeper for sure.

Do you have any plans to do a side by side of the H&D OO sinker along with the Bourgeois OO all hog?

Just wondering how a comparison of those two different builders OO's all hog stack up.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Blabber Champion

I would really like to hear any Bourgeois you may have, especially the OO 14 fret.

The HD 00 SP's are very responsive - the Englemann top really is a nice touch.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Mark, it's just a Youtube link ... if you can see other stuff on Youtube you can just search for "Lefty Guitars Only" and it should come up. Or try from here:

http://www.youtube.com/leftyguitarsonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtime
Vic
Great job on the H&D OO comparisons. I have to agree with you, that sinker OO sounds best to my ears especially when played fingerstyle. A keeper for sure.
Do you have any plans to do a side by side of the H&D OO sinker along with the Bourgeois OO all hog?
Just wondering how a comparison of those two different builders OO's all hog stack up.

Looks like the Bourgeois has a new home already, so no comparisons, unfortunately.

However, the all hog Bourgeois had a very woody sound do it, definitely on the dark side. It was a fairly quiet guitar, which is a little unusual since most 00's I've played tend to be more lively. It had a beautiful, dark tone to it, it sounded great with a pick. But a bit more muted in terms of trebles.

The other all-hog guitars I've had over the past year were a bit brighter sounding than the Bourgeois (Larrivee OM-05 M and Huss and Dalton Road Edition OM Custom). This 00-SP is a light guitar, and it has plenty of sparkle to it. For a guitar that hasn't even been strung up for a week yet, it's got a great voice and I would bet that it will mature into something special. I'm going to photograph it over the weekend and post some shots.

Like the H&D CM in cocobolo, this will be a guitar I will order a replacement for as soon as it finds a home, and then wait impatiently for it to arrive. I should start a "Vic's Picks" series ... this would be one of them, for sure.

Authorized dealer for Carter-Poulsen, Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss and Dalton, Lowden, PRS, Schenk, Schroeder, Thorn and more.

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_ape
You like the Neumanns better than the Pelusos?

Oh, an all hog 00. Mmmm, mahogany...

I do prefer the top end on the Neumanns ... it's more natural sounding. The Pelusos are a take on the Schoepps CMC-6 pencil mikes, and have a hotter high end. For the money (about half the price of the Neumanns), the Pelusos are a nice microphone. I'll be putting them up for sale shortly.

vic@leftyguitarsonly.com
Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic@leftiesonly
Mark, it's just a Youtube link ... if you can see other stuff on Youtube you can just search for "Lefty Guitars Only" and it should come up. Or try from here:

http://www.youtube.com/leftyguitarsonly

I tried it with your link, same results. I can go to any other thing posted on Youtube that I have tried, and it works fine. I'm puzzled, for sure. Too bad, too, because I really enjoy your guitar comparison things. What is strange is that I can search Youtube for leftyguitarsonly, and all the older stuff there comes up and plays fine. Much as I hate Microsoft Explorer, I think I'll try and see if it works with that.

Last edited by Mark the Magnificent! : 03-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM

As much as I hate it, it seems to be a limitation on the part of Firefox, because it plays fine in Explorer. I went and downloaded the latest version of Firefox, to no avail. Sigh........

Still, I enjoyed the demos. I like the first one, in all three comparisons, but especially the fingerpicking demo. Of course, I'm easily swayed by looks, and that pyramid bridge is gorgeous!!