Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: adi-walnut L-00 build thread

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    489

    Default

    No kidding about tools, mark. I have a solid quiver of basic power tools in craftsman bandsaw that can resaw to 8" (if you are good which I'm not!), ridgid planer/jointer, table saw, crappy drill press, routers etc. The real key is SHARP hand tools. I'm getting much better at sharpening. I also was given some good planes (and clamps and many other good wood working gadgets) by my dad, a lifetime boat builder. So, I agree!

    Ok trimmed up back braces to look knifey and gibson-esque. Then glued on back with lmi white glue because im still not ready to do HHG on such a big clamp job. I'm having plenty of little probs with the tad too thin back. But I continue to go for it!

    This go bar deck used to be 2x4 sides. I just added the threaded steel to make it adjustable. In my first go round I had the top of the deck pop off from all the tension ffrom walnut go bar sticks. Lots of tension!

    I do a lot of glueing on my kitchen table. I do a bit of planing and chiseling as well. I'm obviously not married anymore!

    Adi-walnut l00 by samvanlan, on Flickr


    Adi-walnut l00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    489

    Default

    OK back is on and generally cleaned up as good as I can.

    Cut soundhole, added rosette (traditional ivoroid/black/ivoroid - the black scrapes planes and sands way crappier than ivoroid and Ive got some problems but oh well!).

    Now bracing the top with more Hot Hide Glue.....


    Untitled by samvanlan, on Flickr
    by samvanlan, on Flickr

  3. Default

    Looking real good! I took my creation to a friends last night. Just me, him, and one other guy, all guitars. I am really disappointed with the cosmetics of mine because of all the mistakes I made and tried to fix, BUT...I was really surprised by how well it stood up to the Martin HD-28 and Larrivee D-03. I wonder how you felt about the actual sound of your first one? Were you generally pleased? Did you immediately think of a bunch of things you wanted to try, or do differently with another one? One thing I really wonder about is if the sound I got was dumb luck (my guess!), wood choices, or bracing placement and carving. I'm really interested in your builds and impressed with the quality of your work. Keep on keeping on!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent!
    Looking real good! I took my creation to a friends last night. Just me, him, and one other guy, all guitars. I am really disappointed with the cosmetics of mine because of all the mistakes I made and tried to fix, BUT...I was really surprised by how well it stood up to the Martin HD-28 and Larrivee D-03. I wonder how you felt about the actual sound of your first one? Were you generally pleased? Did you immediately think of a bunch of things you wanted to try, or do differently with another one? One thing I really wonder about is if the sound I got was dumb luck (my guess!), wood choices, or bracing placement and carving. I'm really interested in your builds and impressed with the quality of your work. Keep on keeping on!
    Ive been waiting for you to post some pics etc on your build thread.....if the guitar doesnt look great, take a pic from the best angle in low light!

    My first one isnt done yet! I've been waiting for varnish to cure, which it has. So I wet sanded to 800 this weekend but there were some new sand throughs on the burst so I touched them up (half ass) and then wiped on diluted varnish. Now I'll wait another day or two and then try to not sand through (for the billionth time).

    I expect your guitar would sound good! First, I think most guitars have redeeming qualities. Second, hand built with thought (even if its imperfect) is going to sound good, I say. Do a soundclip if you get bored. Cool.

    Sam

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Left of Sam
    Ive been waiting for you to post some pics etc on your build thread.....if the guitar doesnt look great, take a pic from the best angle in low light!
    Maybe really low light, like pitch black. On pics, I will have to see if I can find the camera software, as I just had to replace my computer, and most everything I had either is gone or doesn't work anymore.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Wow I can't believe my first guitar, the RIGHTY L00 for my bro, makes sounds. And they are pretty darn good sounds. Potato chip light. Laser clear and bright tone I think cuz of the maple and radiused body. Concerningly, I've got stripped truss rod issues and a backbowed neck. But the medium john pearses are making it playable. Better than I expected and worse than I hoped! Endless cosmetic flaws but I'm happy.

    I am encouraged about build two (this thread).


    Just iphone shots for now.....


    L00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

    L00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

    L00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

    L00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

  7. Default

    It looks good! I hate to hear about the stripped truss rod. How did that happen? It is almost 250 bucks, but Stew-Mac has a "Truss Rod Rescue Kit".

    http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...escue_Kit.html

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Bay State
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Well done.......... good luck with serial#00002

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Smithfield Va
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Looks great. I like that you bound the fretboard, a nice touch. That is a bit of a peeve with me, big makers selling 3k guitars with unbound boards, but that's just my 2 pesos.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent!
    It looks good! I hate to hear about the stripped truss rod. How did that happen? It is almost 250 bucks, but Stew-Mac has a "Truss Rod Rescue Kit".

    http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...escue_Kit.html
    They have the "grabber" tools too and for ~$10, which is a route I might go. I think it's just a tapered allen head, so I'm gonna make my own! I'm also going to relieve tension in neck by clamping if to straight or radiused board....gawd I hope it moves! I don't want to pay big bucks and or replace neck!!!!! Holy heck that would suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •