Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: adi-walnut L-00 build thread

Default adi-walnut L-00 build thread

Ok here we go! I'm well on my way to finishing my first acoustic, a righty englemann-maple L-00 for my brother. I post a pic of the body as the varnish cures.

For this lefty, I'm shooting for a similar burst vintage gibson vibe but it's gonna be adirondack top and Bastogne walnut back and sides. It's also a bit deeper-bodied at ~4 5/8". It will have the classic gibson style tall skinny braces (Adirondack). I think I'm gonna radius the top substantially more than the 25' on the original l-00s. This will make the top stronger so I think I'll err on the side of thinner! Living on the edge. Basically, I'm fully inspired by kim walker and thus, whatever he does, I try to do.

What astonishes me this time around is how fast it is getting the top back and sides ready when the jigs and experience from build 1 are there. I did that essentially all today whereas it took me weeks the first go around. And it's funny how terrified I was of bending sides. That was a lot of fun today and probably one of the easier steps! Ok wish me luck!

Sam

The righty L-00s varnish is now curing for a couple weeks......
    Adi-walnut L-00 by samvanlan, on Flickr

glueing the back together:

Planing the sides:

Bending the sides
    Untitled by samvanlan, on Flickr

Getting ready for the next phase!

Wow, I have trouble cutting 2 pieces of wood the same length... Good for you, so much talent in this group, minus me

Sam, are you close to the Breedlove facility in Bend?

4. Default

Your work is much nicer than mine. I got all the way to stringing up and discovered earlier this week that I had screwed up in a major way! So, now, it is having surgery

I really envy you your side bending machine. I attempted my side bending with a torch and a pipe. You got nice bent sides. I got Peruvian Walnut kindling

Bending the sides

Yo thanks for comments!

Leftyb: straight cuts in my case come from either the right tools ($) or the right jigs (time and patience)! During my first build, I posted on agf. Another guy was also gong his first build the same time. He was doing most work with hand tools, he was bending braz rosewood for this first build, he was using lutz spruce top and the guitar came out immaculate. Mine looks decent in the pic above but it's a total train wreck in areas. There are places all over that look reliced, shall we say.

I can walk to breedlove (two old hippies is what it's called now because they are doing breedlove, bedell and weber mandolins there). I've met a couple guys that work there and poked my head in once and played some show room guitars. I wish I could just chill for a few days there. But actually, I'd rather spend time with this guy, preston Thompson in sisters Oregon (20 minutes away). His guitars look mind blowing but I haven't stopped in yet.

http://pktguitars.com

Mark: I think the whole bending iron process is what had me so concerned about side bending. The jig makes it too easy (I've only bent the easy woods though). It was really easy to build the one I made and it uses 150 ish watt lightbulbs to heat wood. Easy peasy!

And I've got some doozy eff ups on the first one shown above. I just put up a more flattering pic.

Sam

That's really nice looking work there, I'll surely be following this thread. I like what you are doing by making the body extra deep, that should produce some magic!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Left of Sam
    Mark: I think the whole bending iron process is what had me so concerned about side bending. The jig makes it too easy (I've only bent the easy woods though). It was really easy to build the one I made and it uses 150 ish watt lightbulbs to heat wood. Easy peasy!

And I've got some doozy eff ups on the first one shown above. I just put up a more flattering pic.

Sam
    So, you built the jig for the bender? Do you have plans, or directions to plans and/or blueprints, etc? Easy peasy? Perhaps for normal human beings....for me

I think everyone that builds has some screw ups. Good builders do it in a more subtle way, and are much more skilled at covering the problem. I have had many, many more issues with my #2 than I had with the first one. I attribute a lot of it to #2 being my first time without training wheels. My latest couple of screw ups are doozies to the second or third power. I'll update the #2 build thread when/if I figure out how fix 'em! Even then, it's going to be like the ugly child, a face only a mother could love!

Looks great!

Yo! Yes, the mistakes are really important for my learning process....I pretty much learn lessons the hard(er) way

For the bending jig and the neck-body rout jig (pics later), I just looked at pics online and went for it. I think for the bending jig I also saw a part list somewhere that guided me somewhat. Anyways, I would be happy to help you get er done any way I can.

For starters here are gratuitous pics, with rulers and such (for scale) to give you the ball park dimensions since that's all that's really needed. But I will if needed draft plans up for you in Adobe illustrator and make your life tooooo simple!

As it turns out, I'd say my plywood was too thin on the L-00 form because I see some serious warping going on! Whoops! Anyways, click on pics to go to flickr and download/view the large files.

by samvanlan, on Flickr

by samvanlan, on Flickr

by samvanlan, on Flickr

I routed two slots for the lightbulb socket/platforms. Thus, if I thought the heat was too high the sockets can be slid in at the lower level. Havent needed to do that but I do burn wood a bit.....

by samvanlan, on Flickr

Last edited by Sam Van; 02-28-2015 at 09:59 PM.