Thread: Merlefest

Blog Entries

Default Merlefest

Since this thread hasn't had much action I figured I'd hijack it for this. A few months ago I was looking into tickets for Merlefest. I always had heard it was the biggest baddest Bluegrass festival with all top acts. It seemed pretty expensive for camping, and I couldn't get any friends to commit going with me, so I didn't pursue it. I did however, fill out a contest entry from G7th capo company for a grand prize of 2 VIP tickets and 2nd and 3rd prizes of other merchandise. Lo and Behold, Tuesday night I got an e mail from G7th. I won 1st prize. So, now I'm going to Merlefest. I am getting 2 VIP tickets. Not sure what the VIP part gets me . I still am looking for a close place to park my camper. Anyone familiar with the area that could reccomend a spot?
    Last edited by guitartom; 04-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.

2. Default

My wife gave me vip tics for my 50th birthday. Then we did it 3 more years after that. The only way to go. Camping's kinda crazy. The shuttle thing works great,though. We camped in the big soccer field complex (can't remember the real name) and didn't like it. Then we camped in the waste water treatment plant (seriously) and that was better, though farther away. My wife found a cabin for a really good deal and we did that for 4 more years.I think we went 10 years. VIP is backstage with the artists, i believe. And they feed you 3 meals a day every day. Look at the Merlefest website and go to the forum for lots of discussion on lots of topics. And PM me if you want. I'm in N.Y too, near Albany. It's a great festival that they run meticulously. You'll sleep good at night! 14 stages.

I just read a great description about Merlfest... Ted Lehmann's Bluegrass blog. I saw it on the UMGF , in the events section. Alot about camping and the various stages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by citylimits
    My wife gave me vip tics for my 50th birthday. Then we did it 3 more years after that. The only way to go. Camping's kinda crazy. The shuttle thing works great,though. We camped in the big soccer field complex (can't remember the real name) and didn't like it. Then we camped in the waste water treatment plant (seriously) and that was better, though farther away. My wife found a cabin for a really good deal and we did that for 4 more years.I think we went 10 years. VIP is backstage with the artists, i believe. And they feed you 3 meals a day every day. Look at the Merlefest website and go to the forum for lots of discussion on lots of topics. And PM me if you want. I'm in N.Y too, near Albany. It's a great festival that they run meticulously. You'll sleep good at night! 14 stages.

Thanks for the info. I'm scrambling now to get ready and figure out where to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by guitartom
    Lo and Behold, Tuesday night I got an e mail from G7th. I won 1st prize. So, now I'm going to Merlefest. I am getting 2 VIP tickets.
    SUH-WEEEEEET, Tom!!!

We want a full report... complete with pics!!

Couldn't happen to a finer fellow,

Gary

Congrats Tom, you are going to have a lot of fun. I've been there 3-4 years and had a great time every year. I too stayed at the waste treatment plant, its put on by a volunteer fire company. It is a little further away from the fest but the shuttle is great, and they run the buses late for the campers. Its the Wilkesboro Fire Department Campground, very friendly people. They let you come early and stay after the fest is over long as you want.
    http://www.wilkesboronorthcarolina.c...e_id=no_twsv19
    Last edited by woodyT; 04-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.