Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Donations

Default Donations, converting to 501c-3 status or holding a raffle ?

Is there an interest in a raffle ? Gary-care to weigh in ?

As for the specific guitar, I have a B/G LH Manhattan (honey blonde) , Bravo, Bambino, or a Benny- YESSSS, the first LH Benny's ever made. With Breedlove, we have a number in stock and on the way- including two of Breedlove's 2009 Calendar series- one is made by Kim himself -The Moondancer. Lastly, I am getting in my first lefty Hamers next month.

So let me know your thoughts.

Dale
    Last edited by DHR Guitar Experience; 01-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209
    dale@dhrguitarexperience.com
    www.dhrguitarexperience.com

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DHR Music
    Is there is an interest in a raffle ? Gary-care to weigh in ?

As for the specific guitar, I have a B/G LH Manhattan (honey blonde) , Bravo, Bambino, or a Benny- YESSSS, the first LH Benny's ever made, in Breedlove,
    a have a number in stock and on the way- including two of Breedlove's 2009
    Calendar series- one is made by Kim himself -The Moondancer. Lastly, I am getting in my first lefty Hamers.

So let me know your thoughts.

Dale
    I think it's a cool idea, but I'd want all of the tax implications verified ahead of time. Auctioning a guitar before ascertaining those facts might well make Gary a business and liable for the taxes on the profits. Not what we were going for, I don't think. Come to think of it, the T-shirts would probably pose the same problem. Gary, do you know Harry Moore well enough to get some info from him regarding the Plectrology projects on FLATPICK-L? I'm sure they visited all of these issues before releasing the CD's. I think there is a hat, too, although I don't know who was responsible for that venture. If the potential pitfalls could be avoided, I would always have an interest in getting a good guitar for 25 dollars

ESoF

Default agreed

MEP,

I agree with you. That is why I raised the tax-exempt status issue. I am neither an attorney nor a CPA-I would be willing to inquire though.Man was I tired when I wrote my last entry
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209

4. Default

I appoligize for my ignorance, but exactly what costs are incurred on this board?
    Hogtop Charlotte, bluesman67
    www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Domain name registration, web hosting and software leasing. A couple hundred bucks a year, minimum. This doesn't count the hundreds of hours a year Gary has to spend maintaining the site...

Default Gary/Rick

Hey Gary/Rick,

Who actually is the domain owner ? It seems to me that if the intent is to
    build up the site as a "product" then it truly is a for-profit enterprise. In this case (which doesn't sound is correct) then to me reimbursement for costs would not be appropriate. It appears to me, however, that the intent of the site is a public service for LH players in which case as Rick was alluding to, Gary/Rick are/were spending a lot of non-reimbursed time (money) in providing a free service for the rest of us.That sure doesn't seem right to me.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209

Hi Dale,
    I transferred ownership of the domain to Gary a while back. The software lease is still in my name but will go to Gary after the next registration period. Good questions...
    Rick

Rick had the vision and is the author of this site. I volunteered to help him maintain it, take the garbage out, etc. in the early days. Since then Rick asked me to take it over and I agreed. Neither of us has taken a dollar for our time and work since the beginning. In fact, the opposite is true - we have $pent money to keep it going.

I do this out of my passion and love for lefty guitars, instruments and the "lefty family", many of whom are personal friends. This is NOT a for-profit enterprise. Although I reserve the right to change my mind later, I don't have any thoughts or intentions of ever changing that.

I was tied up with out-of-town company for the past 3 days, so I've barely been able to skim the posts in this thread, much less digest and consider them. My first reaction is to use the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid!) and not turn this into a corporation with papers having to be filed annually, etc. Ugh, that's an extra pain that I don't want or need. I've PM'd Dale and will talk to him about his generous offer to raise money for the site. I'll announce my final decision as to the legal status in the next few days.

Rick, PM me your thoughts on this, please.

Also, thanks to those of you who have contributed already via Paypal. It means a lot!

Remember: You can donate $5 or $10 or $20 or whatever, and every dollar goes to pay the hard costs with keeping LeftyFrets alive!

Thanks, y'all.

Gary

Hey Gary,
    I sent you a PM with my meager thoughts.....

10. Default Gutiar raffle!!

I'm new hear and liking the forum so far.I for one would gladly donate $45 or more(if i can swing it) for a nice guitar,as would many.Sounds like a sweet idea.