Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Donations

Quote Originally Posted by pf!

Guess where you are, George...
    Hey listen, when I start making money from this site, I'll be right up front ready and willing to pay. I was joking, but if we're getting into it, there's a big difference between enjoying a forum and making a (partial) living off of it. Let's be real. Nothing personal, just my opinion.
    Last edited by George; 01-15-2009 at 09:48 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Mark, I considered asking for a donation based on the total number of posts... aren't you glad I changed my mind?
    Gary
    Yes, I am! Seriously. If it becomes a "pay to play" site, I would be forced to really curtail my participation in it. I suspect there are others who would be in a similar situation. While it might be a welcome relief to get me to shut up I fear the end result of such a policy would be to really reduce the traffic on the board, and I don't think we really want that. Right now we all participate because we want to. I suspect anything that would be open to general scrutiny, whether it be donation based upon percentage of sales, or a by the post, or whatever, would all have negative effects. Human nature being what it is, I would imagine the natural reaction would be "I paid more, I should have more sayso." Private is better, I think.

Maybe Jerry will chime in on his contact for the comfortable shirts, we can get some input from Dale/Jerry on the specifics of a shirt order (ie. minimum order, design details, etc), and maybe the T-shirt idea would fly. I'll make the first official "I'll take one" if it is decided to go with it.

ESoF

I just looked up the total post count, and found this to be interesting.

7 of the top 10 posters are from the first wave of members who joined in the first 3 days of this forum's birth, May 5 - May 7, 2006.

9 of the top 20 posters are members from those first 3 days. Cool!

I'm open to doing t-shirts and/or ballcaps. Kevin could tweak our logo here for it, I'm sure (take out the "welcome to", tweak the background color to stand out on different colored t-shirts, etc.). I'm open for suggestions and ideas from those who have experience in doing this.

What we'll do if we get to that point is line up a vendor, get the options, figure the costs and take pre-orders before making a final order.

If anyone has experience and wants to help me with this, PM me and we'll get the ball rolling!

Gary
    Last edited by Gary C; 01-15-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Sounds good to me also, on both the donation and shirts.

I'm up for a T shirt. Maybe we could get Kevin to take the PRS off the logo since they treat us so badly........

I used this place: Custom Ink

They made shirts for my company accurately and on time. There may be other places that are cheaper, but this place got it right for me. There also may be a discount if I refer the leftyfrets order, but I can't vouch for that. I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick W
    I'm up for a T shirt. Maybe we could get Kevin to take the PRS off the logo since they treat us so badly........
    I'd be happy to do that.

Any suggestions for an electric make to take it's place?

or an Archtop, maybe?

Also, do we need to keep "Welcome to..." after the name.

Just wondering.

Maybe add a slogan "LeftyFrets.net— "[insert clever phrase here]"
    My Current Lefties

Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor — Proverbs 3:16

Kevin,

I said in a post above "I'm open to doing t-shirts and/or ballcaps. Kevin could tweak our logo here for it, I'm sure (take out the "welcome to", tweak the background color to stand out on different colored t-shirts, etc.). I'm open for suggestions and ideas from those who have experience in doing this."

The black box frame of the logo above would look awkward on a t-shirt, I'm thinking. Maybe if there was a line or double-line in an oval or another shape, with the logo inside that border? Heck, I'm just throwing darts... you're the expert here!

Gary

Default Donations, converting to 501c-3 status or holding a raffle ?

We are certainly happy to offer our services including our outside graphic designer at no cost. Things like keychains, coffee mugs, t-shirts and other apparel -jackets are cool, are all posibilities.

Is any member an attorney that would donate a few hours ? If Gary was willing, I would advise forming an LLC that has 501c-3 status (tax exempt).This would greatly enhance funding opportunities. Depending on the possible scope of the forum it could lead to such things such as furthering young lefty kids to learn to play guitar. I am sure Dillon would help- he currently teaches 6 year olds ! It is widely acknowleged that kids who play musical instruments are far better students. NAMM does a lot of work in this area.I have always been an advocate of "paying it forward".

Lastly, raffles are a great fundraiser- I won't speak for Jerry, but DHR certainly is willing to donate an amp or guitar at cost for a charitable cause
    and if everyone would buy a $25 ticket (or more) LF has money to operate with.
    . I know that some of you will say whoa... I come here for fun only.We have all suffered frustration,indignities and a lack of resources simply because we were born left handed.Wouldn't it be great to know that in our owm small way we made it better for future lefthanders ?
    Forgive me for getting on my soap box but...... as Gary said "life is good" and I believe he would also agree that giving is it's own reward.

Dale
    Last edited by DHR Guitar Experience; 01-16-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209
    dale@dhrguitarexperience.com
    www.dhrguitarexperience.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHR Music
    ...raffles are a great fundraiser...DHR certainly is willing to donate an amp or guitar at cost for a charitable cause
    and if everyone would buy a $25 ticket (or more) LF has money to operate with...

Well, $40,000 divided by $25 per ticket is only 1600 tickets.

But seriously, I think it's a great idea! And I think your offers are very generous!

I think that Breedlove dred would be a nice raffle offering!