Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donations

Default Donations

Our classifieds section is free of charge.

However, if you sell or trade an item because of this forum a small donation is appreciated. A suggestion, ala UMGF and UCGF, is 1% of your sales price or trade value. This is far cheaper than using Ebay, and a lot less hassle. 100% of your donations will go to paying the "light bills" here.

You can send your donation via Paypal. Just type in:

leftyfrets@gmail.com

Or, you can snail mail a donation to:

Gary Collier
    514 Northampton Rd.
    Leesburg, GA 31763

Legal jargon: A donation is not required to sell an instrument here. Any donation is completely voluntary on your part, and this post does not constitute a solicitation for funds. Again, this service is free and no contribution is required.

Thank you!

Gary Collier
    Owner, LeftyFrets.net

P.S. You don't have to sell an instrument to make a donation! LeftyJack is the first person to make a voluntary donation simply because he wants the forum to keep going. Thanks, Jack!
    Last edited by Gary C; 04-08-2010 at 09:25 PM.

This is a good idea and very fair.

So much so, that I donated even though my sale was made prior to Gary's request.

So, for the rest of you who have recently benefitted from this place by selling something and beating the ebay fees... ask yourself, "what if there was no LeftyFrets?"

Quote Originally Posted by pf!
    ... ask yourself, "what if there was no LeftyFrets?"
    HAHA, Sorry, but I could help laughing at the way this is worded. I just hear the voice from the movies..."In a world...where there was no lefty frets..."

Ahhh yes. Always dramatic around here.

FWIW, I agree that it's a great idea and you can count me in on my future sales.

...and does this mean that Jerry and the like should do it as well? I say so. What's the difference??? Come on guys. FREE ADS right? Pay up suckers. WOW, just think of the donation on...ohhhhhh....let's say a $40,000 sale!!!!!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by YukonKornelius
    ...and does this mean that Jerry and the like should do it as well?!
    In all seriousness, I think the key word is "donation". Gary made the first one public, but it's my opinion that future donations should be kept private. I don't want anybody tailing me as to whether I "paid my donation", anymore than I believe anyone else would. It's evident that things are tight for a lot of people and that this board, like most things in life, has operating costs associated with it. I'm afraid this has the potential to keep a lot of really cool lefty pics and discussion off the board, and I'm "agin that

I haven't discussed this with Gary, and it's my opinion only, YMMV, void where prohibited, etc.

Here's another thought to ponder. I frequent another board called AcousticFriends. I really like it. The owner of the board (who goes by the moniker "Peghead") was determined to keep the board free, but was likewise faced with somehow meeting the costs associated with it. He set up a donations button on the home page, which would accept Paypal, similar to what Gary has done. Plus, (here's the thought) he had T-shirts made which were available for sale and profits of said sales were used to keep the board going. I know there are at least two people on here with businesses that have shirts, and some people who have experience with graphics and design. Perhaps we could get a Leftyfrets shirt designed and printed. 15 or 20 bucks up front by everybody who was interested might allow them to be ordered and distributed, and provide operating expenses in this situation, as well. It wouldn't bother me if we used the heading on this forum (the 'Welcome to LeftyFrets.net' one with the acoustic cutaway on the left and the electric on the right.

Thought, objections, rotten fruit or sticks and stones ?

ESoF

...and does this mean that Jerry and the like should do it as well? I say so. What's the difference??? Come on guys. FREE ADS right? Pay up suckers. WOW, just think of the donation on...ohhhhhh....let's say a $40,000 sale!!!!!
    George,

Let's just say that I've had a private conversation with Jerry and Dale, and that everything is fine.

Mark, I considered asking for a donation based on the total number of posts... aren't you glad I changed my mind?

You're absolutely right about not posting a list of donors, also. Instead I have chosen to thank each of them privately when they have donated, and I state here publicly to each of them - thank you!!

Gary
    Last edited by Gary C; 01-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    George,

Let's just say that I've had a private conversation with Jerry and Dale, and that everything is fine.
    Oh I'm sure of it. I'm just having a laugh, that's all.

I'm all for the donation Idea and also think mep2's T-Shirt idea is excellent too. I would certainly buy one..... (more...if there's a variety of colours).

Cheers,
    Davey.

While you were so quick to point out the benefits of a dealer using a forum to generate sales, perhaps we should shine the light in the other direction and ask for donations from the top 20 or so users (based on posts) to help pay for the costs of running the board. Gary and Rick W. should be exempt for obvious reasons.

I'm # 4 on that list.

Guess where you are, George...
    Last edited by pf!; 01-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.

I love the t-shirt idea...I would buy one.

Esp. if it was the same kind jerry sells. Man I am always digging for that shirt in the laundry pile on the weekends, it is the most comfortable tshirt i own.