Thread: Gibson Custom Orders Situation

1. Default Gibson Custom Orders Situation

After contacting Gibson directly whether or not a factory-lefty Gibson J-180 could be ordered, since they are offering almost the entire standard acoustic lineup for southpaws now, I was informed that "We are not able to take in custom orders for lefty guitars as well unfortunately. The J-180 has been discontinued as well, by the way."

Since this was Gibson Europe Customer Service replying, I'm uncertain as to the custom orders situation for us lefties in the States. For Europe it sure looks disappointing.
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
    2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
    1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
    was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."--Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

Gibson continues to disappoint, as people line up to try to give them money for guitars they seemingly are unable to make. Unreal...

Have you tried to contact Southpaw in Houston? He does a big business in lefty Gibson's, and if anyone has a connection to the knuckleheads in Nashville, presumable Jimmy does. I'd give him a ring.

Have you considered flipping a righty? Since many of them have the double pick guard, it would be a pretty easy conversion.....new bridge, add some dots to the side of the fingerboard?

I was able to do a custom order. I was looking for a case and called the factory in Bozeman direct. I ended up talking to a guy named Robbie Johns. While discussing the case I complained about the not being able to find a Gibson Nick Lucas that matched my specs. When I told him what I wanted, he said we can do that. He made me order through Southpaw Guitars. Contrary to popular opinion, I got a very good deal from them. Good luck!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetchart View Post
    Have you tried to contact Southpaw in Houston? He does a big business in lefty Gibson's, and if anyone has a connection to the knuckleheads in Nashville, presumable Jimmy does. I'd give him a ring.

Have you considered flipping a righty? Since many of them have the double pick guard, it would be a pretty easy conversion.....new bridge, add some dots to the side of the fingerboard?
    Ordering via Southpaw would mean massive import fees on top of what you're really paying plus they've already denied taking any custom orders for Europeans due to CITES regulations.

I have considered flipping a righty but doing so comes with so many downsides that it's the least favorable comprise to make.

was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."--Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardMcCoy View Post
    Ordering via Southpaw would mean massive import fees on top of what you're really paying plus they've already denied taking any custom orders for Europeans due to CITES regulations.

I have considered flipping a righty but doing so comes with so many downsides that it's the least favorable comprise to make.
    Maybe there's a Gibson dealer in Europe who could place the order?
    Or have it delivered to a LF member and come pick it up?
    ES335TD

I understand the situation with CITES, although you didn't mention that in your first post as a reason they would not be able to even order the guitar.

And then you asked about even the possibility of getting it in the States, which is why I mentioned Southpaw. Yes, import fees etc. would be possibly prohibitive, but if you reach out to them at least you would see if it's even possible to order it. If Jimmy can't get it, then likely it's not available period, and you can move on.

But if it's available here, then perhaps you can do what ES335TD suggested and order it through some in the US. I have done that with friends from Europe in the past, with both eBay auctions and purchases.

Best of luck with the search.....

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetchart View Post
    I understand the situation with CITES, although you didn't mention that in your first post as a reason they would not be able to even order the guitar.

And then you asked about even the possibility of getting it in the States, which is why I mentioned Southpaw. Yes, import fees etc. would be possibly prohibitive, but if you reach out to them at least you would see if it's even possible to order it. If Jimmy can't get it, then likely it's not available period, and you can move on.

But if it's available here, then perhaps you can do what ES335TD suggested and order it through some in the US. I have done that with friends from Europe in the past, with both eBay auctions and purchases.

Best of luck with the search.....
    Gibson Europe never gave me their reason why they wouldn't accept custom orders except for the direct quote I posted above and that J-180 were, lo and behold, out of production. Southpaw, however, directly told me that they wouldn't do it due to CITES regulations ("We do not have export licensing for rosewood"), which implies it might be possible to order one, just not for shipment to Europe. Under the bottom line, it's a no-win situation for Europeans.

I never asked about the situation in the States either, since it's pretty clear you guys have been custom ordering directly from them or via an intermediary for a while now and recently too. However, I can see why my initial post could be read that way since it's phrased so inconcisely.

I'll keep looking until something pops up...
    Last edited by LeonardMcCoy; 02-17-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Gibson Europe never gave me their reason why they wouldn't accept custom orders except for the direct quote I posted above and that J-180 were, lo and behold, out of production. Southpaw, however, directly told me that they wouldn't do it due to CITES regulations ("We do not have export licensing for rosewood"), which implies it might be possible to order one, just not for shipment to Europe. Under the bottom line, it's a no-win situation for Europeans.

I never asked about the situation in the States either, since it's pretty clear you guys have been custom ordering directly from them or via an intermediary for a while now and recently too. However, I can see why my initial post could be read that way since it's phrased so inconcisely.

I'll keep looking until something pops up...
    Let us know how we can help you satisfy your GAS urge. Many of us work well with Southpaw!
    ES335TD