Thread: Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV Acquired

1. Default Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV Acquired

I discovered the Goldtone reissues from the 50s-era Trace Elliot/Vellocette line a little late. They are now out of production, but I was able to pick up a fabulous, clean 15-watt Goldtone off the second-hand market for a decent price. What a beautiful, warm sound, with sheer endless headroom towards both ends and a great-sounding spring reverb!

If you get the opportunity to pick one of those up, go for it--is my recommendation.

Last edited by LeonardMcCoy; 01-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
    2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
    1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
    was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."--Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

I’ve played thru one and loved it! Congrats. That’s a beauty.

Sam

3. Default

I like the reflection of your head and camera in the volume and tone knobs in the third pic When I take pictures,my thumb all too often becomes an unwelcome part I've developed a warm spot for old Gibson amps in the last year or so. Yours is really cool!

I don’t think he took those pics, mark.

Also, I played an original.....didn’t realize this was a reissue. Wish I had wherewithal and time to compare contrast. I am contemplated building an ac10 or 15 copy....hmmmm. My 59 bassman is too powerful to get tube break up at reasonable volumes. We could do a build along!

Sam

5. Default

I didn't realize that the photos were not the work of LeonardMcCoy. Still, the photo in the post does show the reflection of the photographer/camera in those two knobs I would follow the amp build with interest, but comparisons to other amps wouldn't mean anything much to me. My Gibson amp is from 1949 and only has one knob!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent! View Post
    I like the reflection of your head and camera in the volume and tone knobs in the third pic When I take pictures,my thumb all too often becomes an unwelcome part I've developed a warm spot for old Gibson amps in the last year or so. Yours is really cool!
    These pictures were taken by the seller. I didn't even notice the reflection myself until your mentioning. Nice catch!
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
    2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
    1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
    was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."--Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars