Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merry Christmas to my friends here at LeftyFrets!

Gary and Dan, thank you! As for playing into my 90's, I only have about 30 years to go. Maybe by then I'll understand the fretboard a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by mengr80 View Post
    Hopefully with lots of success!

Tell me about your acrylic painting? Are you taking lessons?
    Carl,

As with my guitar playing, I'm nothing but a hacker, less Van Gogh and more Mad Magazine (no lessons which is evident), to me the acrylics seem more forgiving than WC with less time between sessions than oil. For the most part I paint still life, i.e. boring fruits and flowers etc, but getting better with each try. For me the color mixing is the real key. Hope to do some plein air this spring but don't expect much, again, for me great tool to relax.
    Merry Christmas.....

bill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyB View Post
    Carl,

As with my guitar playing, I'm nothing but a hacker, less Van Gogh and more Mad Magazine (no lessons which is evident), to me the acrylics seem more forgiving than WC with less time between sessions than oil. For the most part I paint still life, i.e. boring fruits and flowers etc, but getting better with each try. For me the color mixing is the real key. Hope to do some plein air this spring but don't expect much, again, for me great tool to relax.
    Merry Christmas.....

bill
    Bill, what little I've played with acrylics, I agree. There's always another coat. And yes, oil takes forever to dry. Have you tired the water-soluble oils? I've been thinking about it. As for color mixing, I love the mixing of watercolors right on the paper....it's cool and does all the work for you. Wish I could say painting was relaxing for me. Like guitar, it's a challenge still and I keep fighting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mengr80 View Post
    Bill, what little I've played with acrylics, I agree. There's always another coat. And yes, oil takes forever to dry. Have you tired the water-soluble oils? I've been thinking about it. As for color mixing, I love the mixing of watercolors right on the paper....it's cool and does all the work for you. Wish I could say painting was relaxing for me. Like guitar, it's a challenge still and I keep fighting with it.
    Carl,

I've read about the water-soluble oils but have not tried, let me know if you do....don't fight it just enjoy, like guitar, I play for myself, no one else, so when I finish a painting, it gets put in the stack and most likely won't be seen until I'm horizontal and they decide to toss them

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyB View Post
    Carl,

I've read about the water-soluble oils but have not tried, let me know if you do....don't fight it just enjoy, like guitar, I play for myself, no one else, so when I finish a painting, it gets put in the stack and most likely won't be seen until I'm horizontal and they decide to toss them
    Bill, I will let you know. I can say, if I do, I'll get some from Daniel Smith. They make a great product. Yeah, I tend to be tough on myself and do get pleasure with the end result....if I like it. Maybe I'll mellow out with age.

Carl,
    PM me your address (I can't find it) I have some high quality acrylic and WC paper I want to send you.
    Merry Christmas

bill

7. Default

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all of you !

A joyful holiday season to everyone.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209
    dale@dhrguitarexperience.com
    www.dhrguitarexperience.com

10. Default

Just saw this, lovely painting. I've been under that railroad bridge many times. Although I live in Texas, I kept my sailboat in Red Brook for many years, and am a member of a nearby yacht club in Marion.