Thread: A Preston Thompson Trio-on the way !

Default A Preston Thompson Trio-on the way !

Just shipped: A Preston Thompson LH Trio:

1) A Dreadnought with Cuban Mahogany/Adirondack

2) An O size all Koa

3) A Parlor 2 all Koa.

Will have photos and specs shortly.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209
    dale@dhrguitarexperience.com
    www.dhrguitarexperience.com

2. Default

I've only played one other guitar out of Cuban Mahogony, and that was Gary's Posch #9, several years ago. I normally don't gravitate to mahogony guitars, but that one had something different going on, and I was impressed. It could well be the builder and not the materials, but what are your thoughts on Cuban vs standard mahogony as a tonewood?

Mark,
    Ask Gary about his Thompson Cuban-I am surprised he hasn't mentioned it to you.As for your question, I do prefer Cuban over Honduran Mahogany.This opinion is shared by the majority of mahogany fans.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience
    Specializing in Left-Handed, Archtop and One-Of-A-Kind Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209

Quote Originally Posted by DHR Guitar Experience View Post
    Mark,
    Ask Gary about his Thompson Cuban-I am surprised he hasn't mentioned it to you.As for your question, I do prefer Cuban over Honduran Mahogany.This opinion is shared by the majority of mahogany fans.
    Dale, Mark has heard about all 3 of my Cuban mahogany guitars, but only played the Posch.

John Arnold tipped me off to Cuban mahogany over 10 years ago. He mentioned on UMGF that it is "the king of mahoganies". That led me to have Leo Posch build a 2nd dread for me in CM/adi, my all time fave guitar that I've owned. Later I had Jimmy Edmonds use the same wood combination to build me a 0000 and it is also a killer guitar.

When I ordered the Thompson through you, it was almost automatic to get that same combination again. What I hear with Cuban mahogany is the lushness of rosewood combined with the clarity of mahogany.

I'm sure this 14-fret dread will be killer!

Gary

Gary,
    Ahhh, that explains it.Thanks for your thoughts.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209

The Cuban/Adirondack Dread has arrived ! Photos to be posted soon.

Dale
    DHR Guitar Experience

3092 Madison Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45209