Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEFTY Smeck stage deluxe build

Default LEFTY Smeck stage deluxe build

OK, Staceydude and I have done the research! We’ve acquired the materials! We’ve begun the build (long time ago but him and I are getting way too excited and can’t take the silence any longer).

Background: Stacey loved his Jackson Browne, him and I (and Gary and Olson Lover) also shared love for the Santa Cruz D12. But stacey was still looking for a 12 fretter that is truly more authentic before-the-war Gibson and smeckian (my words not his).

Thus, he asked me if I could do it and of course I said yes!

So to get this right, we’ve talked to all the Smeck gurus. Roy McAlister, who repairs Jackson Brownes Smecks and builds his own SMeckalister, responded immediately to our inquiry and gave us the inside scoop. One tale he relayed was about how little JB actually liked the Gibson JB model - no surprise as it does appear that gibson doesn’t give a darn about tradition.

Then we turned to my number one idol right now, Dale Fairbanks. He is a true traditionalist and told me everything I needed to know about the old gibsons and how he specifically builds his Smecks now.

As you guys know, I still can’t build an aesthetically perfect guitar but Stacey is not too persnickety and has given me free REIN! The main things we are doing different than the originals: slotted headstock, rope binding, and of course a non-hawaiian style neck…..cant see why he wouldn’t want to play a 2 1/4” nut square shaped neck? To each his own hardee har har.
    Last edited by Sam Van; 11-12-2017 at 05:47 AM.

An original 1934 Gibson Smeck Stage Deluxe

Last edited by Sam Van; 11-12-2017 at 05:38 AM.

The authentic Smeck bracing pattern

attaching sides the old(est) school way

We went with an eclectic looking Hampton Bros red spruce top
    Last edited by Sam Van; 11-12-2017 at 05:44 AM.

The burst before any finish

Cuban Mahogany back and sides

Really like the top- and i feel vindicated that jackson didn't care for his gibson model because after 2 years of playing mine, i couldn't get with it either.

That’s an interesting top. Looks like a fun project.

A buddy of mine just got one made by Jennings “Judge” Wolfe. Killer guitar.

George, just checked out sir judge. What a stud. Cool singer songwriter, friends with Wayne Henderson, and builds trAd Gibson style. I got respect for a guy who builds with the before the war tapered bracing too. Thx for sharing that. I take it the nicotine finger burst is not your style? Hehehe.

Sam

It’s unique. I like it! I was referring to the raw wood. Never saw one like it.

I’m looking forward to watching the progress. I’m sure you guys are having a blast!

That guitar is looking good!

Mighty fine! Speaking of respect, mine goes to anybody building a guitar on the doggone kitchen table.