Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Quiz

Default Fun Quiz

I posted this thread last friday on the gibson forum but it generated little interest, thought y'all might like to give this a go:
    Here for your consideration and amusement, i have assembled 6 sound tracks, 3 with the 2016 j45 vintage, and 3 with the 1946 southern jumbo. They were recorded in exact same conditions (seating, microphone placement, preamp and computer settings) with same string brand and gauge (only days apart on the guitars).
    Tracks 1,3,5 are one guitar, and tracks 2,4,6 are the other guitar. Set 1 and 2 are the key of G, set 3 and 4 in the key of C, set 5 and 6 in the key of Em, each set being the same little nugget ditty played as similarly as I could. I tried to play in a slower tempo to allow for a bit of overtone. Just thrashing away for 60 seconds into an ipad does not a discernible audition make. I kept them brief to allow for our short attention span mentality of this the spaced age.
    So listen (hopefully not on laptop speakers, lest I sound like AM radio circa 1961) and decide which is the torrified wood and which is the old wood. I've already forgotten...(just kidding)
    https://soundcloud.com/scriv58/sets/friday-fun-quiz

Here is the grandbaby and the grandpa 70 years apart

Last edited by scriv58; 10-11-2017 at 11:08 AM.

for some reason I can't get the url to load.

should work now sorry bout that!

4. Default

I don't know what the intentions are, ie. which sounds better, or guess which is which, but... I think the first one (tracks 1,3,5) sounds "drier", whereas the second one (tracks 2,4,6) sounds a little more bassy. I don't know that I like one over the other, but I do hear a difference. If forced to chose, I would guess that the first one is the 46 SJ and the second is the new J-45 Vintage. Hey, I've got a 50-50 shot, right? Both of them sound great.

just seeing if it can be determined which is old and which is new, since that seems to be part of the torrified top marketing ploy.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
    just seeing if it can be determined which is old and which is new, since that seems to be part of the torrified top marketing ploy.
    At some point, after there is some additional input from other members, you will reveal which is which, right?

Correctomundo- and i sent you a pm a few days ago...

ok, to my bad ears, I think 1,3,5 - treble sounds more prickly. bass is clear but not pronounced. 2,4,6, treble is more clean, concise and bass is more pronounced and strong.

SO, I guess 2,4,6 are the older instrument. Do I win?

maybe...

nice playing by the way!!