Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping to Canada..Help?

Default Shipping to Canada..Help?

Hello All,

If anyone could help with these questions I would appreciate it.

I have a guitar on Reverb and have an offer but the buyer is in Canada. Is shipping there any different then the US? Or is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you,

bill

Any CITES-regulated wood? Or perhaps worse, any CITES-regulated descriptions of any wood?
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

i asked Folkway about a lefty they have and the shipping was going to be almost $300 (YIKES) to Mass. due to CITES. This was on an $800 Taylor so needless to say I passed...

I don't think CITES comes into play as a private seller shipping 1 guitar to Canada. I recently looked into shipping a guitar to Vancouver and I was pretty surprised that the price wasn't too crazy. Evidently the buyer would be responsible for any tariffs or taxes on their end. I received the shipping quote from the USPS.

Thanks ,

No CITES in play (D18), I have gotten quotes to Toronto area of between $135-150.

Any special paperwork involved?
    Has anyone ever used the direct shipping method through Reverb?

Cites is in play. That D-18 has a rosewood bridge and fingerboard, and as of January 2017 ALL rosewood is restricted under CITES. And customs doesn't care if you're a private seller or business. It's probably pretty low risk, but it's still a risk. Fretboard Journal did a podcast on the new changes last year, and Reverb had this article summarizing the new regs. https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-re...sewood-species

Quote Originally Posted by napman41 View Post
    I don't think CITES comes into play as a private seller shipping 1 guitar to Canada.
    Everything I've seen online says otherwise. If someone at the border decides to take a closer look at that guitar, it could very well end up seized.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

I wouldn't take the risk of shipping anything that contains rosewood outside of the US without a CITES permit.

I thought the fingerboard was ebony, anyway , may not be worth the trouble.

Thanks,

bill

If it's ebony, you're fine.