Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tom Petty...

Default RIP Tom Petty...

...I can't believe he's dead

I watched the recent Scorsese documentary about George Harrison this weekend. Tom Petty was included at the end, from their time traveling as Wilburys... RIP Tom Petty.

Maybe it's a faint hope, but there's been no official confirmation. CBS news announced it, but has now withdrawn it. The best I can see so far is that he had a heart attack, they say there's no brain function, but he's continuing to breathe on his own. Not good.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

This one hits closer to home than some of the other deaths over the last few years. Even though he is 66, I never really viewed him as old for some reason. He and the Heartbreakers created a lot of great music, one of the great bands of my college and early adult years.

The latest seems to be he is off life support, first report was wrong...

His manager confirmed it. He's gone.

Just saw that, very sad. Great artist.

[expletive]. TP was a cool guy, and besides being a huge star in his own right, always hung out with artists in the upper reaches of the pecking order. He was also I think, the fan all of us would be if we could spend time with 'those guys'. I remember all the interviews he gave about George Harrison and it was clear he felt humbled by the association. I saw Tom and the Heartbreakers in 2002 at The Concert For George at the Albert Hall in London. I'm glad I got to be in the same room as so many legends.

And of course, the Rick 625-12:

04_RICK.jpg
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

Like "straightface", this one stings harder for me too

A friend turned me onto Petty in college and I've been a fan ever since. Songs like "Even the Losers" and "Change of Heart" were so raw and emotional. Loved the whine in his voice, so real.

Everybody talks about his commercially successful songs like "Free Falling" and "I Wont Back Down" but for me the early raw stuff and the Mudcrutch stuff is best.

My fav albums are "Long after Dark", "Wildflowers" and "Damn the Torpedoes"

love this one:

and do you remember him on the "Garry Shandling Show" where he played the next door neighbor and occasionally broke out his guitar? That was awesome! And Garry is gone too

I'll miss him.
    Last edited by elasticman; 10-03-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo

My band play a lot of Tom Petty, not the usual suspects but the more interesting stuff like Listen to Her Heart, Mary Jane's Last Dance and Saving Grace, a video of which we made a few years ago and has now become our tribute to the great man. RIP Tom.