Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring My 1880 Weber Grand Piano: Serious Brazilian Rosewood Content.

Parts get pricey, but as with all thing labor intensive, you know the rest. My cost per bass string is about $16.00, I might charge $75.00 to put one on, but that fee includes the follow-up visits to re-tune the new string as they go out of tune, quickly, for a long time. My cost for a whole of bass strings is MUCH more reasonable.
    The splice repair that you mention is a really good repair, preferable to replacement for several reasons, both sonically and for setting up and staying in tune quicker. I do that repair most of the time.
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone Magazine, my last words were; I'm on drugs!"

Reckon what the Brazilian rosewood alone in that thing is worth? What a sweet find!

Very cool looking piano and I love the story of how you got it.
    Just out of curiosity: is the Rosewood veneer or solid? (or maybe figured rw veneer over solid rw?)

It is veneered, though some pieces, like the music holder, lid stiffener, and lid prop are solid rosewood.
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone Magazine, my last words were; I'm on drugs!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Elmo View Post
    It is veneered, though some pieces, like the music holder, lid stiffener, and lid prop are solid rosewood.
    very cool!