Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1945 Gibson Banner J45 - set up left hand **Returned to Guitar Center**

Default 1945 Gibson Banner J45 - set up left hand **Returned to Guitar Center**

some of you may have read my posts where I was trying to decide between a Banner J45 and a 1951 J50. While both are fantastic instruments, the J50 won out for it's looks, feel and tone. I am getting a lefty nut put on it and it will do it for me.

So...

this Banner is for sale. Asking $2900 shipped.

CONDITION:
    - neck angle is good
    - guitar was refinished at some point
    - bridge was replaced and intonated LEFTY
    - no cracks!!!
    - frets are in great shape
    - just had my luthier Dave Dick (D String Guitar Repair in Sturbridge MA) remove the righty nut (weird, huh?) and create a new lefty one.

VIDEO SAMPLES
    actual guitar being played by Dave Dick (Blackstone Valley Bluegrass Band)

I will post more pics and a full listing on Reverb tomorrow. Price will be higher there.

Get a Banner Gibson for a decent price that needs no work!
    Last edited by elasticman; 09-01-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Bravo! A good price, best wishes on the sale, and just changing the nut is the way to go for now. My 57 country western i bought recently has only two slots slightly filed to accomodate the 5th and 6th strings, and it plays and sounds fantastic.

Whoa... Good luck with the sale.

There were a lot of positive comments around the J-45 and rightly so. The poll was kind of like choosing between 1A and 1B so whoever snags this guitar should end up pretty happy. I'll resist the urge to comment on replacing nuts/bridges/saddles and to what extent bracing/tone bars factor into a lefty conversion. That's a topic worthy of it's own thread!

Quote Originally Posted by OlsonGuy View Post
    There were a lot of positive comments around the J-45 and rightly so. The poll was kind of like choosing between 1A and 1B so whoever snags this guitar should end up pretty happy. I'll resist the urge to comment on replacing nuts/bridges/saddles and to what extent bracing/tone bars factor into a lefty conversion. That's a topic worthy of it's own thread!
    http://www.leftyfrets.net/showthread...pping-a-righty

$3600 shipped.

$3500 shipped within the States

8. Default

question-what is the nut width and what is that back? It looks cool but does not look like mahogany.
    1940 Martin D-18
    1943 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    1968 Martin converted D35s
    1939 Gibson Kalamazoo Oriole-x braced
    1922 Bruno Brazilian Rosewood- x braced lefty

Life is like surfing. Sometimes you have to wait for your wave.

Quote Originally Posted by dshepp View Post
    question-what is the nut width and what is that back? It looks cool but does not look like mahogany.
    hi
    The nut is 1 3/4 and is nice and chunky.

I asked John Thomas about the back. He is the author of "Kalamazoo Gals". He told me it is a slab-sawn mahogany back. I had never heard of that until then.

Dan

Would buy this if I had the funds!