View Poll Results: which guitar do you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Banner J45

10 62.50%
  • 1951 J50

3 18.75%
  • they are equally good (or bad if you hate Gibsons)

3 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 vintage Gibsons - help me decide!

Well, maybe I'm the one with the bad ears as I heard the complete opposite of the comments posted so far. I'm going to go back to the video and make sure I'm not inverting the models!

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I preferred the 1951 J50. On Wildwood Flower the lower notes on the J45 were a bit muddy and nearly drowned out the higher frequencies while the J50 demonstrated great balance. On the second track it was no contest as the J50 tonal range was more dynamic while also providing better note separation. However, on the blues track the stronger bass response of the '45 made the J50 sound thin in comparison. Aesthetically I prefer the J50, although that would be a minimal factor if I were choosing between the two.

If your primary style is more Blues based then I would go with the J45, otherwise I would choose the J50. Either way congrats on a great guitar!

Dan, what are you thinking?

Dan, first of all, love your playing.
    My untrained ears go to the the J50. My other deciders though are price, what upgrade costs (pick-ups) and playability. As well, is this a guitar for around the house or an working instrument? That of course is another concern as you're then dealing with pick-ups, sound and recording systems.

But with all of that said, both seem to be very fine instruments. Congrats on either.

Quote Originally Posted by shane dyson View Post
    Dan, first of all, love your playing.
    My untrained ears go to the the J50. My other deciders though are price, what upgrade costs (pick-ups) and playability. As well, is this a guitar for around the house or an working instrument? That of course is another concern as you're then dealing with pick-ups, sound and recording systems.

But with all of that said, both seem to be very fine instruments. Congrats on either.
    I wish it was me playing! That would be Dave Dick of the Blackstone Valley Bluegrass Band. He is also my repair guy.

Dave told me he favored the J50 by a mile. He said it was no contest! He preferred the feel, the tone - everything. In retrospect it may have been a better comparison to have a hack like me play both guitars because unlike Dave, I am not able to coax great sound out of an instrument that may otherwise sound ordinary. He remarked that almost every guitar he plays ends up sounding like HIM.

I love the fundamental sound of the J45, but to me it is too much like an Advanced Jumbo I already have. The J50 has that thump, that dryness that makes it special to me. An the NECK - worn and comfy. Like an old shoe.

Beyond that, the J45 would need to have the bridge replace to get a sense of it's true greatness. No small task as it appears to be epoxied on! The J45 would cost me a lot more to get the way I like it. Remove bridge. Refinish top where larger non-correct bridge was. create new period correct rectangle bridge intonated lefty. Etc...

So... I will most likely have him convert the J50!

very interesting. I posted this same thing on AGF, along with a poll. If you combine the 2 polls, it comes out like this:

Banner J45: 20 votes

J50: 9 votes

Both equal: 8 votes.

so the ears have the Banner with more than 2X the votes!

6. Default

Just in reading the comments you've posted, it sounds as though you prefer the J-50. Taking into consideration that the J-45 is going to need much more work/$$ to get right, it seems to me that you already know the answer!!