View Poll Results: which guitar do you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Banner J45

10 62.50%
  • 1951 J50

3 18.75%
  • they are equally good (or bad if you hate Gibsons)

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 vintage Gibsons - help me decide!

Default 2 vintage Gibsons - help me decide!

So I FINALLY took the 2 Gibsons I am considering to Dave Dick over at D String Guitar Repair in Sturbridge MA. Had Dave string them up right handed and record identical songs in 3 styles on both guitars.

One is the Banner J45 I posted about earlier. A 1945 that has a lefty intonated saddle and righty nut. Weird!

Second guitar is a 1951 J50. Full of cracks that have been expertly repaired by Joe Glaser in Nashville.

Which do you prefer?

https://vimeo.com/229340944
    Last edited by elasticman; 08-11-2017 at 06:20 PM.

I don't have very good ears, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems the Banner has nicer highs and a bit more clarity to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mengr80 View Post
    I don't have very good ears, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems the Banner has nicer highs and a bit more clarity to me.
    Both sound great but i'd go for the banner as well. I agree with mengr80, it has more clarity.

BTW I screwed up the video - "Blues" clips are wrong. Will fix.

Don't forget to "vote" in the above poll Carl!

Quote Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
    BTW I screwed up the video - "Blues" clips are wrong. Will fix.

Don't forget to "vote" in the above poll Carl!
    Hehe I knew the blues song sounded like the first one !

I voted. And yeah, I was looking forward to hearing the blues...but the finger style is nice two (too)!

dave is such a great player and what a great guy to help out with these recordings!

Quote Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
    So I FINALLY took the 2 Gibsons I am considering to Dave Dick over at D String Guitar Repair in Sturbridge MA. Had Dave string them up right handed and record identical songs in 3 styles on both guitars.

One is the Banner J45 I posted about earlier. A 1945 that has a lefty intonated saddle and righty nut. Weird!

Second guitar is a 1951 J50. Full of cracks that have been expertly repaired by Joe Glaser in Nashville.

Which do you prefer?

https://vimeo.com/229298055

8. Default

Boy, what a great problem to have! And fantastic guitar playing by the way. Just listened through with my wife who also plays. She opted for the 51. Says it sounded more like the sound emanated from the sound hole whereas the 45 seemed like the sound emanated from the strings. I personally liked the 45. At first I liked the 51 but as I listened I liked the warmth of the 45 and I think it will get even better over time.

I really think they both sound great. I voted equal since we voted differently
    1940 Martin D-18
    1943 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    1968 Martin converted D35s
    1939 Gibson Kalamazoo Oriole-x braced
    1922 Bruno Brazilian Rosewood- x braced lefty

Life is like surfing. Sometimes you have to wait for your wave.

Both sound great and playing is also great. Through my ipad with my old ears I think the banner sounds a little sweeter to me.

video is updated (with 3rd "Blues" track)

https://vimeo.com/229340944
    Last edited by elasticman; 08-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.