Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1960 LP burst. WOW...

Lovely! Absolutely lovely! Doesn't McCartney own one of the four? He's about the only left-hander who could afford to.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

He sure does. John McEnroe had one for a while as well. I think we had a thread going at one point. Someone around here knows the full story on the where they all are. If memory serves (which it rarely does), I believe one was pretty damaged by an FBI or IRS raid?

Great article. So it looks like the one in George's link is 0-1504, the Stroup Burst.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

Two of the four were sold by Heritage Auctions a few years ago. One of the two was the McEnroe Burst.

I find it interesting to see that 3 of the 4 lefty Burst have been for sale in the last 5 years.

Wish I had $350,000 !

I've reread Scott Jennings post a couple of times now. It's kinda of run-on single paragraph that should have been broken up into additional paragraphs, grammatically speaking.

But based on what he says, neither the McEnroe or the Stroup are really very good playing guitars. My experience with Scott back in the day was that he knew his stuff, so I would tend to believe his opinion on that.

He says that the best playing LP he ever played was a '57 gold top he at one time owned, which I think is different from Macca's? Hard to tell for sure from his post, but very interesting. I would think and hope that any guitar over $150K would be a good player, but maybe not...

Particularly interesting what he says about Gibson making lefties in batches of 4; I don't think I've read that anywhere else....
    Last edited by mikeetchart; 08-12-2017 at 01:28 AM.

I didn't sell Paul his Les Pauls. Although he owns at least 5 instruments that were mine at one point he has never bought anything from me.
    Linda did buy the 1957 PAF Gold Top for him as a gift. She took good care of him, buying him things he was too cheap to buy for himself.
    The near mint lefty '57 with PAFs that I owned was the one Norm Harris had for years. I bought it from him. It is easily one of the best Les Pauls ever built. Too bad it's in a non-working collection now, along with the Stroup Burst and my '53 Telecaster. Although I've played McEnroe's rather trashed 1959, and McCartney's 1960, the only one I owned was the Stroup Burst (twice), which I originally bought from Albert Molinaro. It was a terrible instrument, with a vertical neck split from overtightening the rod, internal chamber and channel from being built using a right handed body blank, and a weak neck pickup. But she's a looker... According to Rick Nielson, McCartney's company traded him $10K worth of gear for his 1960 lefty Burst. I had sold several instruments to raise the $10K asking price (this was 1987' after all, and I was still a partner at Voltage). Gruhn was brokering it. When I called to wire the funds, I found out that Rick had pulled it and sold it to McCartney. Oh well, at least I've gotten to play it, and he's put it to better use than I would have.
    Gibson built lefties in runs of 4 in the 1950s through mid 1960s. This is true of any model they shipped left handed, guitar or bass. There are four known lefty Bursts, and four known PAF Gold Tops. There are at least 16 lefty P-90 Gold Tops that I've owned or brokered, including one that belonged to Cesar, dating from 1953 - 1958. Two of them having later serial numbers than all four of the PAF equipped ones. According to official sources over the years, Gibson did not separate out lefty production totals until 1974, with the Les Paul Deluxe. I hope that is some help. I'll post images I have of them when I get a chance.

Yeah, I think he's saying that his gold top was not the one Linda bought for Paul.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

McCartney's is definitely NOT the same PAF goldtop. His has been well-played, and the one Scott got from Norm Harris is still in near-mint condition. What has been forgotten about these lefties that we've been seeing for sale, is that they were owned by a Ponzi-schemer, who is now in federal prison. He owned The Florida Burst and the MacEnroe Burst, which were both sold at the Heritage Auction. The same guy also owned Stroup Burst and the "57 goldtop which were not part of the Heritage Auction, I don't know why. I heard rumors that the goldtop was also at Carter's for sale, but that was a while back, so I'd guess it sold. Carter's also has (had) a lefty ES-345 from 1960, priced WAYYYY high, anyone know if it was also part of the Ponzi-schemer's collection?
    Last edited by Lefty Elmo; 08-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone Magazine, my last words were; I'm on drugs!"

Here's Paul with his 57 GT. It has Grover tuners and green in the finish under his arm.
    lefty 57 with Paul.jpg
    Last edited by Lefty Elmo; 08-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone Magazine, my last words were; I'm on drugs!"