Thread: Testament to the Lefty Spirit - Elizabeth Cotton's guitar

Default Testament to the Lefty Spirit - Elizabeth Cotton's guitar

One of Elizabeth Cotton's guitars (I just assume she had more than one) is on display at the Smithsonian. She's a testament to the lefty spirit, coming up with her own way to play lefty. Not great shots, but nice to see, anyway, I hope. It's at the American History museum. I'll try to get better shots next time.

www.dee.email/OPEN/cottonguitar.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SunnyDee; 07-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    "It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
    Taylor 320e Baritone

Close up of her scratches opposite the pickguard.

www.dee.email/OPEN/cottonguitarclose.jpg
    Last edited by SunnyDee; 07-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    "It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
    Taylor 320e Baritone

And here is a clip of her, possibly playing that same guitar.

I'm sure there are some (hopefully on other forums, not this one) who would say that this just shows how the concept of 'left-handed' guitars is pointless; "After all, her whole style is based upon playing a righty guitar". Possibly, but how much better could she have been if she had a proper LH guitar? We will never know.
    Last edited by mcarp555; 07-31-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

Quote Originally Posted by mcarp555 View Post
    And here is a clip of her, possibly playing that same guitar.

I'm sure there are some (hopefully on other forums, not this one) who would say that this just shows how the concept of 'left-handed' guitars is pointless; "After all, her whole style is based upon playing a righty guitar". Possibly, but how much better could she have been if she had a proper LH guitar? We will never know.
    To me, it shows how hard some people will work to keep the dominant hand for strumming and picking. But I get your point.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
    Taylor 320e Baritone