Thread: How to do a good duet?

Default How to do a good duet?

Last night at open mic, I played three songs with lady friend; If You Could Read My Mind, Sound of Silence and Helplessly Hoping. We only rehearsed one time prior to playing and the performance went okay...we got a few nice compliments. What I wonder, besides harmonies, what makes a good duet performance? A couple of the songs I played finger style and she strummed. That didn't really seem to go together. I wondered about one of us capoing or playing different chord inversions, but neither of us know enough about that. So, what are some of the keys to a good duet?

If one is picking, the other could only strum on the downbeat, or play simple roots & fifths to provide a basic bassline. Capoing one guitar will mean playing in a different key unless you transpose the part. For example, if the open guitar is playing in C, and you put the capo on the fifth fret of the other guitar, you'd play the same song in G.
    Mike
    Militant Left Hander

one guitar in open tuning is another complementary possibility- everly brothers used it to good advantage

Carl,

I give you credit, I wet-my-pants just thinking about playing in front of people (other than family, they just walk away)

Good for you... Bill

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I wish I knew a little more theory to help me use your suggestions. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it? Here is a short clip of our first song...short because her husband's phone ran out of memory. The song is capoed on two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb2...m-upload_owner

Thanks, Bill! You may recall a thread i started a long time ago about stage fright. I had it big time when I first started doing this. I still get nervous, but not crazy nervous like before. One lesson I learned in one of those earlier performances was when I was playing Norwegian Wood....which I "knew" by heart. Well, I spaced out and totally forgot the words. A class mate was right in front of the stage and he cued me the lines and I started up again and finished. After that I remembered that I survived. I walked off the stage on my own, no one threw tomatoes, I lived to see and play another day! It really wasn't the end of the world. It keeps getting easier and easier....little by little.

I thought it sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostew View Post
    I thought it sounded great.
    Thanks, John. It's all the guitar!