Thread: A Unique Guitar Story

Default A Unique Guitar Story

Hi Everyone:

No lefty content and sorry if you already know this story.

In canada, there is a famous group of painters from the previous century, they call the Group of 7. There is a large gallery just north of Toronto that houses their works.

In 2014, the gallery, started a discussion with Linda Manzer (luthier), to do a special collection of guitars for the gallery.

To make a very long story shorter, Jean Larivee started his guitar building shop in toronto in the 70s before moving to BC and eventually california where he now makes 4000 guitars a year. There were a number of luthiers who apprenticed under Jean at that time.

The gallery contacted 7 canadian luthiers, including Jean and wife Wendy (all had apprenticed with Jean) and paired them up with a Group of 7 artist, to make 7 one of a kind guitars inspired by the artist's work and the luthier's creativity.

These were completed in 2016. Then, the gallery picked 7 canadian guitarists, to play these guitars. Artists like Jesse Cook, Don Ross, etc.

As of Jan 30th this year, these 7 guitars are housed in a collection in the gallery and a movie runs, highlighting the luthiers, their process, the guitars and the people playing them. I sure hope they release that movie to the public once this showing is complete in november.

I went to the gallery yesterday and was blown away. Linda Manzer was there and they held a concert because one of the artists, Tom Thomson, its been 100 years since he passed away. WOW, what a show.

Here's the information on the project,

http://mcmichael.com/event/the-group...t-summer-2017/

Yesterday only, they allowed people to take pictures so I took pics of the guitars and the description by the luthier of how they are built.

Sorry for the crappy photos as the guitars are hung against a glass wall and the lights were weird. In fact, I took pics of the back of the guitars which were also amazing, but they didn't really turn out due to the lighting. I also have a shot of all the luthiers.

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can and thanks for listening to this story. I cant imagine the cost of these guitars as commissioned, but I bet they are priceless now.

Pics are here:

http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/Al...tml?sort=3&o=1

Alf,

I just saw your post here tonight. WOW, what a project!! And WOW, what beautiful guitars!! The talent on display here is mind boggling!

Thanks for sharing,

Gary

I only see a couple pictures... no guitars?

my pictures are at the second link in my post.

Yeah, when I got to that second link, the only seemingly related image I see is the first picture, which shows some of the luthiers. And then I see a bunch of images of types of paper, or paper samples? No guitars....

weird, here's the link to the summary of the pics I took,

http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/Al...?sort=3&page=1