Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larson Prairie State

Default Larson Prairie State

Well... I sort of broke my personal rule of "thou shalt not convert and modify historically significant/rare guitars" but I couldn't help myself. In my defense, I'm only aware of one actual left-handed Prairie State or Euphonon in existence (a 1932 Prairie State Tree of Life).

This week I acquired an early 1930's Larson Prairie State 425. This is the 15" Auditorium model with Brazilian Rosewood back/sides and Adirondack Spruce top. It's currently with Tony Klassen at New Era Guitars to reroute the saddle and replace the nut. I should have it in my hands towards the end of next week but in the meantime here's a pic.

Prairie State.jpg

OH. YES! Im very happy for you. I wish I could play it or any other Larson Brother guitar. Just holding and hearing one is on my bucket list...... And of course I want make one. Love their aesthetic and innovation. Very cool.

Sam

That's one beauty. Larson Brothers made some very fine guitars. Congratulations!

Isn't today the end of the week? Absolutely amazing! I would love to hear sound samples when you get it....

"thou shalt not convert and modify historically significant/rare guitars"
    not a personal rule i could live by...who cares? enjoy your great find!

awesome find! Enjoy it.

Congratulations - Larson Bros. guitars have a sound all their own. I have a 1932 Stahl that is a 0-size which I love. According to Robert Hartmann (a relative of the Larson's), it is braced for lefty. I'm not sure the Prairie State you mentioned was factory lefty; I had Gruhn assess it when it was for sale and he said it was converted - not sure if it was the same guitar.

In any case, the conversion is pretty straight-forward. If you put a removable pickguard on, it can be completely reversible. Enjoy!
    101.jpg
    ES335TD

Your Stahl is in amazing shape! How long have you had it?

Here's a picture of the lefty I mentioned. Is this the one Gruhn assessed?
    ca.1932-Prairie-State-450 lefty.jpg

Thanks - I've had it for about 5 years, and it is a cool guitar. I think that is the one the Dugald Sturmer owned - he had an amazing collection of guitars including 2 Larsons - I was offered the guitar and Grughn told me it was not factory lefty (pickguard not original, etc.). I can't wait to hear your report on the guitar - does that metal rod have an effect on stability or tone?

Also, check out Rick ruskin - an amazing player who plays a Stahl with a similar body profile to your new beauty!
    RickRuskin2015-300.jpg
    ES335TD

Holy moly es! I did not know you had a lefty Larson. Would love to behold it. Have you ever taken a pic of bracing thru soundhole? That will confirm if it's lefty. I assume this has the spruce-Braz laminated bracing? Incredible.

I don't know all the guitars you have, but is this a favorite for you? Do u like/prefer the tone for certain things?

And how goes the Prairie state, sir Olson!?

Sam