Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build #5 engelmann-white oak

Default Build #5 engelmann-white oak

Hey lefty brethren. Sorry but I'm still building righties too. Just posted on agf but I really like this one and wanted you guys/gals to see it too!

I worked really hard on this one and am so happy with the results. Still far from perfect and I had some epic finish eff ups but all the important pieces are there: it sounds great to me, piano-esque, loud, reminds me a bit of my old Santa Cruz D12. It's pretty easy to play and the intonation is excellent! Dovetail fitted perfectly too.

It's basically inspired by Bruce Sexauers "mini-d", which is a phenomenal guitar btw. But I figured I should call this something else. So because it's got a 15" lower bout and is short scale, lets call it a Slope OM.

The engelmann is from wind falls I harvested last spring. And the white oak has some nice figure.

Other build pts:
    Varnish body finish
    Tru oil neck finish
    Hand rubbed burst
    Maple binding macsssar ebony fretboard, bridge, headplate etc.
    Hot hide glue
    Scalloped x-bracing
    Spruce peone attached top
    Hand engraved fretboard dots (the last name of the person I built this for).

Sam

Shots from the office

Slope OM by Sam Van, on Flickr

Sam,

That is beautiful! I **love** the hand-rubbed 'burst!! Looks like Preston is getting some competition in his back yard!!

The ONLY thing wrong I see with that guitar is... it's righty.

Thanks for sharing! Your old D12 ended up in my hands after it left you, and it was the inspiration for what Preston's gang is building me now. That is a great guitar design!

Gary

That back is really something! Looks great!

Stunning! The way it should be!

Thanks for the nice comments, dudes! Excited to build #6 for someOne at work, same body style as this but with black limba back and sides. I'm also building my girlfriend a guitar, spruce-plum wood, both of which I turned from tree to tonewood. Good times!

Sam

Couple more pics:

PS GEORGE: I forgot to tell you that the ebony fretboard binding was inspired by you because of your outspoken dislike for bound light colored fretboards. I'd never given it much thought but because the maple binding was so intense to me, I thought a binding on the fretboard as well would kill you dead the moment you saw it.....as well as bug me too.

Last edited by Sam Van; 12-20-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Outspoken??? Me...??? Haha.

I love it. You did a great job, Sam! She's a beauty!

8. Default

I'm impressed! I echo Georges' comments re the back. It is absolutely gorgeous! I'm interested in your opinion of oak (particularly white oak) as a tone wood. Where in the spectrum between mahogony and rw would you place it? I wondered if it would have a long decay time, just because of my experience with seasoned white oak boards. I have heard people say oak was kinda bland compared to some exotic tonewoods, figure wise, but the back of yours dispels that notion

Hey mark! Wooo so glad to be done with another.

That particular board of oak was amazing. I should have had more b/s sets from the board I got but my resaw technique wasn't dialed in as I have it now. I acquired some more decently figured stuff that I'll do 3 piece backs with.

I'm threatening to do a bona fide recording the of the oak, compare it with the guild and Santa Cruz etc. I'll post if I get there!

Oak is definitely rumoured to be a underrated tonewood. What I'm hearing is a rich clarity. It's got tons of bass but I'm wondering if that's due to the way I attached top to sides (peone instead of kerfing)? . The guitar itself is very musical, meaning that when I and others play it, it just wants to write songs and riffs. It's really good with minor key stuff. But I don't know what to attribute that to......its super loud but that's the top I think too. It resembles maple but maple seems clearer and neutral whereas this is clear with richness.....god it's hilarious to describe sounds and tone .

Sam

respect.

the back and sides are gorgeous Sam!