Thread: Build #4 (caution, right-handed..but built by lefty:) Englemann-Macassar Ebony L00

Default Build #4 (caution, right-handed..but built by lefty:) Englemann-Macassar Ebony L00

Hello all - Build number 4 is finally done, built for a friend. Im getting better!

This one is sort of a hybrid bracing. Gibson knife braces on top and martin style back bracing. I did this because I believe that the back is really important to projection. I think its good to have the back a bit "tight" if you will so that theres no resonance interference with the top. Thats all quite voodoo-ish but the results are great on this one. It is loud with tons of sustain. The top tone bars are not parallel ala Bruce Sexauers design. I also follow Preston Thompsons philosophy of locating ends of the finger braces at the front corners of the bridge.

I used the peone method of mating the top to the sides, ala old school spanish design. Bruce Sexauer also does this and thats where I got the idea. Instead of a continuous kerfing, the peone are wedged spruce blocks glued one at a time. Its cool because it means that the top is mounted to sides under no (or little) tension.

The top is englemann spruce that I harvested from wind fallen trees in the Oregon Cascades. This stuff is stiff! Macassar ebony back and sides, fretboard, head plate, back plate etc. Mexican ebony bridge. 25' top radius and 12' back. 24.75" scale length. Hand rubbed burst with Varnish finish and tru-oil on the neck.

I made a MOP banner in did my first engraving. Not easy! I can improve a lot with this type of stuff.

One thing I cannot comprehend is how builders avoid dinging them! I've got to get more careful there.

Untitled by Sam Van, on Flickr

NOTE: I ended up redo-ing sides that are behind the top and back.....

3. Default

Nice! I especially like the look of the back.

Wow, Sam, that is gorgeous! It's amazing how much talent we have around here...

Note: Isn't it a sin to be a lefty builder and build righty guitars?

Gary

Sam,

Thank you for sharing, I think most of us take for granted what is required to build these little beauties....well done.

bill

Beautiful.

7. Default

Just wonderful! Gotta love those smaller boxes too. Thanks for sharing.

thanks all. And yes Gary it's totally wrong to do this but no lefties are asking me to build them....