Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: refinishing a Danelectro U2

It just impresses the hell out of me when people do things like this. I'm all thumbs, except when I play.

this whole painting guitars thing started when I was looking for someone to paint me a custom telecaster. I wanted a sparkle tele about 7 years ago. I had the local automotive repair place flake a guitar for me, but it came out like a funhouse mirror. they are use to working with metal, not wood. anyway, they charged me a ton and I ended up stripping it back off and learning the process myself. now I've flaked over 30 guitars and now don't have to get fender or Gibson to custom paint me a guitar. I don't want to wait 10-14 months and pay $5000 for it. so now, I just buy guitars I want and custom paint them whatever color I want. it really doesn't matter what they look like. as long as they play good. plus, I can have it done in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ManMyth
    It just impresses the hell out of me when people do things like this. I'm all thumbs, except when I play.
    Me too....and I'm all thumbs all the time!

Great job, Jay!!!

Great stuff. I have 2 danos and love em, light as toys, but sound great, play great, and are just too much fun. Your refinish looks like it's going to be fantastic. Thanks for sharing the in-progress shots!
    My favorite guitar depends on the song.

I was wanting to finish the guitar this week, but I had a rebound of my bronchitis. been a weird year. I've had 3 colds since new years. my system is really out of whack. every time I go to an ENT, I get a cold. so i'm bed ridden and hopefully will be able to sing this weekend.

only good thing about the guitar, the longer it is for me to sand and polish, the better the finish will be. so I am in limbo till next week.

on another note, I ordered some white danelectro binding tape. problem is, its really white. so i'm going to experiment on staining/dying the tape to give a more cream color to match the tuner buttons and back plate.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay
    I was wanting to finish the guitar this week, but I had a rebound of my bronchitis. been a weird year. I've had 3 colds since new years. my system is really out of whack. every time I go to an ENT, I get a cold. so i'm bed ridden and hopefully will be able to sing this weekend.

only good thing about the guitar, the longer it is for me to sand and polish, the better the finish will be. so I am in limbo till next week.

on another note, I ordered some white danelectro binding tape. problem is, its really white. so i'm going to experiment on staining/dying the tape to give a more cream color to match the tuner buttons and back plate.
    Throwing out a WAG here, but maybe stain the tape with coffee or tea?

I definitely am looking into a way to stain the vinyl tape. its like thick electrician tape with a roughness. I ordered extra so I can experiment with different methods. cream color is what i'm going for, but I don't know what will work on this tape. its got to go on smoothly and not pool up in the nooks and crannys

fyi, coffee and tea does nothing to this vinyl tape. i'm going to have to go with something more potent

Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay
    fyi, coffee and tea does nothing to this vinyl tape. i'm going to have to go with something more potent
    Ah! Espresso!

Too bad. Coffee was what I was thinking too. Maybe wood stain or shoe polish?
    My favorite guitar depends on the song.