Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dextral sacrilege.....finished lutz-pernambuco L00

Default Dextral sacrilege.....finished lutz-pernambuco L00

Hello lefty brothers!

I finished my third build for my friend Kevin.....and although it's a travesty that it's right handed, all else went really well.

I used a Martin/Bruce sexauer bracing pattern
    And I added a furniture bolt to the dovetail neck joint, as this is what preston Thompson does. He swears it adds some extra bass and sustain. I agree!!!!

Its really a full tone. The bass is definitely there (Main top tap tone = 172 hz = low for a 00). But the bass does not sound flabby at all. The mids and trebles are very thick. I love the sound coming out of this. Hopefully others will corroborate what Im hearing.

This build was super tough because I tried to improve from #2. I definitely did that. But my respect for my mentors/luthier idols increases even more. Its really hard to do everything right on a guitar build.

Anyways, it looks great from 3 feet away. Any closer and you will see some things.

Specs:
    60 year old lutz spruce from bridge stringer top
    Pernambuco back and sides
    Martin scalloped X-brace
    Macassar ebony fretboard and veneers
    Gabon ebony bridge
    24.75" scale length with sweetened fret spacing
    Ellensburg blue agate headstock inlay (from my buddy's ring he didn't wear anymore)

Sam
    [/url]Untitled by Sam Van, on Flickr
    Untitled by Sam Van, on Flickr

2. Default

It looks great!

What makes you convinced that the furniture bolt does what is claimed ?
    How do you know that another factor or combination of factors are not the reason ?
    It is my experience that a 00 is not limited to a shallow tone . I have heard 0 size guitars with very full tonal qualities .
    I am not attacking your work . I am only questioning the methodology of your conclusions .

Looks great! I have nothing but respect for anyone who can build a cutting board, let alone a a musical instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by otterhound
    What makes you convinced that the furniture bolt does what is claimed ?
    How do you know that another factor or combination of factors are not the reason ?
    It is my experience that a 00 is not limited to a shallow tone . I have heard 0 size guitars with very full tonal qualities .
    I am not attacking your work . I am only questioning the methodology of your conclusions .
    Thanks mark and pf!

Otter, of course it could be something else but I didn't feel like writing a thesis. . I'm mostly making light that I added the bolt.

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Van; 12-27-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Left of Sam
    Thanks mark and pf!

Otter, of course it could be something else but I didn't feel like writing a thesis. . I'm mostly making light that I added the bolt.

Sam
    Fair enough .
    May we see the back ?

Very nice

8. Default

I went to Preston Thompsons' site to look at his work, since you mentioned his bolt process. I got sidetracked listening to dread demonstrations. There are two guys in a store picking Red Haired Boy. The younger one, especially, impressed me. Especially the rhythm after they had passed it around a few times. He seems like a fearless sort of player, but he did some interesting stuff.

Is there any chance you might be posting sound samples?

Congrats! that really came out nice, I bet your friend is one happy man!
    What wood is that for the neck? Are you carving your own? I can't tell from the pics.
    Thanks for sharing...more build pics next time please!

Oh my. What a beauty - should be lefty for sure...
    My favorite guitar depends on the song.