Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think?

Mark,

A few years ago - maybe 8 or so? - Dana Bourgeois was gobsmacked excited about Padauk! He said it had some of the tonal characteristics of Brazilian rosewood for a fraction of the price, and he built a bunch of guitars at that time with padauk.

Fun stuff! We need to both win the lottery so we can retire and build guitars! Wouldn't that be a ton of fun??

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent!
    ...The other thing I'd like to do is a J-45 slope shoulder type thing. I really don't know which woods to use for what, though!
    If I were in your shoes, I'd use the Bolivian Rosewood for the J-45 styled slope shoulder, the Padauk for a dreadnought, and the Mango for an OM or smaller.
    ~ Lone Star Proud ~

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wmthor
    If I were in your shoes, I'd use the Bolivian Rosewood for the J-45 styled slope shoulder, the Padauk for a dreadnought, and the Mango for an OM or smaller.
    Interesting.....I WAS kinda thinking Padauk for the dread Any reasons for the choices for the other two, like maybe mango being used in small bodied instruments (like ukes)?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Fun stuff! We need to both win the lottery so we can retire and build guitars! Wouldn't that be a ton of fun??

Gary
    Yeah, that would be fun! Retirement might be something I will accomplish. Winning the lottery, maybe not so much, although it is fun to dream, occasionally Building guitars in retirement would be fun, so long as I can do it at my leisure and whim. Otherwise, I'm afraid it would just turn into another job

Hey Mark - Very cool. I almost bought some mango myself. The woods are probably totally versatile. What I would do is sit and tap the woods endless amounts of times.....Im not kidding! As you probably know, hold the wood ~22.5% down length and same in width and tap. I honestly believe your ears will tell you what tops and bodies might go with it.

If the B+S tap tones are lush, complex, and resonant maybe adi. If its dry, with a quick decay and or ultra-bright maybe englemann. But others might say the exact opposite. You are the builder and you will find what you should build, so I think. Its just such an intimate process building a guitar.

My view right now is that body styles are more about bracing and tops than they are about back and sides......So go with your gut?

OK thats my late night thinking out loud. Hope you are well. Sam

6. Default

Hi, Sam!

I appreciate your input. Back when I used to say I wanted to build a guitar someday I never dreamed that it would become such a daunting thing! I was a whole lot more concerned about it just not imploding when I put strings on it I've only got one top set, at the moment. It is Lutz. I used Lutz on the dread, and I like how it sounds. It isn't bright like mahogony, nor really bassy like EIR. I don't know if it is the b&s woods, or the top, or a combination of the two (or maybe dumb luck, confluences of important stellar objects, or my weird bracing). I'm not real sure about using this top, though. It had a crack in one side. Jim thicknessed it for me, but I'm not sure how stable it really is. What probably will happen is that I will watch EBay and bid on stuff till I accidentally win something, and use that. I was kinda thinking Padauk/Red Spruce for the dread. I just have a hard time parting with over a hundred bucks to get a top. I don't see how Eastman, et al, can build and sell a guitar for what they do. Just the price of the materials are around their selling prices

So, what do you have on the drawing board/in process? The last updates I remember seeing had your two projects pretty much finished up.

I'll send you some englemann tops! When I do I'll pm you on how much shipping is. The tap tones are really excellent. Stiffness is also very good for englemann.

I'm waiting for #3 finish to cure, #4 is braced and sides are bent and kerfed etc. I built a DIY thickness sander this weekend for $125 and can't wait to get the hook and loop sandpaper roll to test it out! I also bought a shop fox buffer and got a motor for it...attached it to a base, which also attaches to base of thickness sander so I only need one motor for both. Having fun!

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent!
    Interesting.....I WAS kinda thinking Padauk for the dread Any reasons for the choices for the other two, like maybe mango being used in small bodied instruments (like ukes)?
    No particular reason other than (a) I dare to be different and (b) I'm a sucker for rosewood backed slope shoulders.
    ~ Lone Star Proud ~