Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

1. Default What do you think?

I like it!
    ~ Lone Star Proud ~

gonna be killer!

I'm thinking if you made a rectangular guitar like in the style of Bo Diddly you wouldn't have to fret over breaking the sides when bending them..

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtime
    I'm thinking if you made a rectangular guitar like in the style of Bo Diddly you wouldn't have to fret over breaking the sides when bending them..
    It isn't like I'm not already stressing over breaking the sides . As you know, I've already ruined some nice wood trying to do that thing. This particular set hasn't actually gotten here yet. It was one of those bid and forget things that ended with an email from EBay saying you've won item # ........... I am not all that sure I want to try another guitar, but, since I keep acquiring wood, I suspect I probably will at some point.

Nice!

works for me! I like it. Did you buy it? Sam

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Left of Sam
    works for me! I like it. Did you buy it? Sam
    I did buy it. It hasn't gotten here yet. I should be buying ability, but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark the Magnificent!
    I did buy it. It hasn't gotten here yet. I should be buying ability, but I can't find it.

Well, I think some ability can be bought via tools. But good wood counts for something too. Cool. I just got Gore and Gilets books and have both measured the stiffness (youngs modulus) of my englemann and compared it with some adirondack stock I have around (my englemann is close but not as stiff, as expected) and I have also delved into looking at chladni patterns. Thats super helpful as it turns out.....I'll post in my thread come to think of it!

Whats the plan for the body style and top for this BRW beauty to be?

Sam

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Left of Sam
    Well, I think some ability can be bought via tools. But good wood counts for something too. Cool. I just got Gore and Gilets books and have both measured the stiffness (youngs modulus) of my englemann and compared it with some adirondack stock I have around (my englemann is close but not as stiff, as expected) and I have also delved into looking at chladni patterns. Thats super helpful as it turns out.....I'll post in my thread come to think of it!

Whats the plan for the body style and top for this BRW beauty to be?

Sam
    Chladni patterns fascinate me. I've seen several Youtube videos that show the process in action, and it makes sense to me in trying to get the most out of a top and bracing. Youngs Modulus escapes me, other than being a measurement of stiffness. I'm thinking dread on the BRW. I haven't accumulated any materials for it, other than the b&s set on its' way here. I've already got the Burkett in BRW/red spruce, so am leaning a bit towards Englemann, just because I really liked how it sounded with the Taylor 510 I once had. It seemed to give a little more roundness and fullness to the mahogony, instead of being SOOO bright I've got the Pin Oak I got from otterhound. I'm thinking small body for that, maybe with redwood or cedar. I really haven't thought much on that one. The one that is furthest in the planning stages is a set of figured white oak. I have an idea about making an all US wood guitar. I have the b&s set, and a black cherry fingerboard and bridge. The only down side to it is that everything is so light colored, and I don't know how I feel about staining it. I ruined a nice set of Peruvian Walnut on my last build, cracking the back and ruining the sides with the bend. That's why I'm looking at benders. I don't understand how they line the side up in the form, though. It seems to me that the butt and neck ends of the sides would have to precisely match the form to keep it properly shaped, yet, all the Youtube stuff I've seen demo'ing benders shows them starting by bending the waist and pressing the bass and treble ends around afterward.

I'm thinking I need to get or build a bender. Then, I can practice on the remaining side of the Peruvian Walnut, move on to the white oak, and then, after I hopefully have a success or two to bolster my confidence, do the BRW.